|Share / Tweet / Pin Me!|
|Meaning||conservative chic, classy, preppy, posh. Sloaney|
|Literally||good style good sort|
|Pronunciation||[bay say bay zhay]|
|IPA||[be se be ʒe]|
Usage notes: The French acronym BCBG stands for bon chic, bon genre (good style, good sort [of person]) and is French shorthand for the upper middle class who, stereotypically, share a particular style of dress, attitude, and belief system: conservative chic.
|Bénoîte a l’air BCBG aujourd’hui.||Bénoîte looks classy / posh today.|
|Nous allons dîner dans un resto BCBG avec mon patron.||We’re going to eat in a fancy restaurant with my boss.|
- NAP – short for Neuilly, Auteuil, Passy (upper-class areas of Paris)
- B. C. B. G. – according to Le Petit Robert
- bécébégé – phonetic spelling
- beau cadre, bon goût – "good class, good taste"
- bon chic, bon gars – “good style, good guy”
Be careful with BCBG as it can be considered pejorative: a verbal swipe at people who are well-off.
The clothing line BGBC Max Azria was created in 1989 to offer “high-quality, on-trend clothing at contemporary price points.”
Share / Tweet / Pin Me!
You must log in to post a comment.