The letter X has several different pronunciations which can be determined for any given word with specific rules.
Soft pronunciation – like the X in the English word "fix" – phonetic symbol [ks]
– in front of a consonant
– at the end of a word or syllable*
|the letter x|
|une expérience||experience, experiment|
* Exception: X at the end of numbers is pronounced like an S.
Hard pronunciation – like the X in the English word "example" – phonetic symbol [gz]
– at the beginning of a word
– between two vowels in two different syllables
In a liaison or enchaînement, X is pronounced like a Z.
- Letter combination: XC
- Introduction to consonants
- French alphabet
Share / Tweet / Pin Me!