The letter combination eu has three possible pronunciations, two of which are very similar.
- When it’s the past participle of avoir, eu is pronounced like u.
- In an open syllable (ends in vowel sound), eu is pronounced much like "u" in the English word "put" – listen. Phonetic symbol: [ø]
- In a closed syllable (ends in consonant sound), the mouth is a little more open, like in the English word "hurt" – listen. Phonetic symbol: [œ]
- The ligature œ plus u (œu) follows rules 2 and 3.
- The letter combination euil has its own pronunciation rules.
Share / Tweet / Pin Me!