The letter combination eu has three possible pronunciations, two of which are very similar.
1) When it’s the past participle of avoir, eu is pronounced like u.
2) In an open syllable (ends in vowel sound), eu is pronounced much like "u" in the English word "put" – listen. Phonetic symbol: [ø]
3) In a closed syllable (ends in consonant sound), the mouth is a little more open, like in the English word "hurt" – listen. Phonetic symbol: [œ]
- The ligature œ plus u (œu) follows rules 2 and 3.
- The letter combination euil has its own pronunciation rules.
Share / Tweet / Pin Me!