French Dictation Exercises
Dictées are a classic way to practice French listening comprehension, writing, and spelling at the same time, and there are hundreds on my co-branded site, Progress with Lawless French. These self-scoring exercises are available exclusively to PwLF subscribers.
Every week, we publish different levels of dictées. You start by listening to a French audio file in its entirety to get a sense of the topic and vocabulary you might encounter. Then you listen to just one phrase and type what you hear:
Next, you’re provided with the correct answer and a scorecard. Rate your transcription from 0 to 5, then move onto the next phrase.
At the end, your scores are totaled, and you’re provided with the list of grammar topics covered in the dictée so that you can brush up on anything that you had trouble with during the exercise.
Weekly dictées are included in Premium PwLF accounts but you can get a taste with these free samples. Please note that you need to be logged into your account to take them, so you may be prompted to log in or to create an account.
- Level A1: Marie en France
- Level A2: Au cirque
- Level B1: Départ en vacances
- Level B2: Au Restaurant de la Plage
- Level C1: Le marché aux poissons
(Explanation of levels)
A huge index of dictées (levels A1 through C1) is available for Premium PwLF subscribers, with new ones added every week. Here’s how to get those:
1) If you already have a Premium PwLF account, go to communications preferences or click “modify communications preferences” at the end of any PwLF email. Put a check next to “system communications,” save, and then keep an eye on your email every Friday for the Weekend Workout (which also includes writing challenges).
2) If you have a free PwLF account, upgrade to Premium and then opt into "system communications" as above.
3. If you don’t have a PwLF account, you’re in for a pleasant surprise, because dictées are just the tip of the iceberg. Progress with Lawless French is a state-of-the-art program that can supercharge your French learning at any level. You start by taking a comprehensive proficiency test and then the A.I. designs your personalized StudyPlan, updating it every time you take a kwiz so that you’re always improving and moving forward – learn more.
What’s the difference between Lawless French and Progress with Lawless French?
- Lawless French is the site you’re on right now (www.lawlessfrench.com). This is the free site on which I write comprehensive lessons, create practice exercises, and share everything I know about French. It’s related to yet distinct from
- Progress with Lawless French (progress.lawlessfrench.com), which offers mini lessons and a personalized study plan. There’s a free version (limited to 10 kwizzes / month) and a paid, unlimited version with additional features.
You can assign homework and track your students’ progress in PwLF with a free Studygroup account.